DDD - Scribble - Text Preview Tool
A downloadable tool
Do you use Game Maker Studio? Do you use Scribble? You should; it's a text renderer by Juju Adams that's both faster than Game Maker's built-in draw_text and allows you to do some extra fun effects such as:
- Changing colors and fonts on-the-fly
- Waving, pulsating or shaking letters
- Automatic typewriter effects
- Inline images
and a number of other things. It's also pretty easy to set up!
Yes but what is this?
This tool allows you to preview what text drawn with Scribble will look like in real time without having to re-run the game (or without having to buy GMLive). It's quite simple: type text into the text box and see how Scribble renders it!
With this, you can:
- Preview Scribble formatting tags in real time - color, font, alignment, effects, etc
- Test out autotype settings - if you use Scribble to display messages with NPCs and want to try to nail down the appearance of scrolling text, this is for you!
- Adjust the wrap width, so you can see how Scribble looks with differently sized text boxes
- Set the default text color and background color, in case you want to preview something other than black text on a white background
I really like Scribble. I hope you find this useful!
Note that some features of Scribble are not available in this preview tool:
- Fonts cannot be defined at runtime so you're stuck with the ones I've included in the editor. Juju is considering adding this ability to Scribble in the future, and if that happens I'll enable it in here.
- Sound effects are not available at all, and inline sprites are currently restricted to the UI sprites in the project which is not especially helpful. I can modify the behavior of the Scribble parser to allow the use of imported sprites and sounds, but it's not currently a priority.
- I have yet to look at the Pages feature; I may do this later.
As usual, the asset is free as-is. I'll fix simple or game-breaking bugs but more involved support requires payment via either Itch or Patreon. I get the final say in what constitutes "game-breaking."
- The version of Scribble this preview tool uses is 5.4.6. Juju has been updating it fairly frequently so that may or may not be out-of-date at the time of your reading this. I will update this tool to use new versions when functionality changes, but due to having limited time I might not address more minor updates immediately.
- The text box isn't a proper text editor, and you can't do common operations such as selecting text or moving the text insertion point. I may or may not address this in the future. If you want to write out text in something like Notepad and copy it into the preview tool, you can use the Copy and Paste buttons.
- This is the same code base as the other game development tools which I've been working on for over a year. The other modules of the editor have been locked off. If you've used my terrain editor before, neither tool should be affected.
- I'll probably implement at least a few of the unimplemented features above in the future, but no promises.
- This is Juju. Go say thank you to Juju because he is a wonderful person who does wonderful things.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.